DD-WRT is free and one of the best Linux-based powerful open source firmware for several wireless routers. It offers many advanced features which mostly not found in the Stock firmware of OEM ( original equipment manufacturer ) like Buffalo, Asus, TP-Link, Netgear, Linksys, Cisco, D-Link, Buffalo, Belkin.
After Installing the DD-WRT firmware on Asus RT-N13U, you can Boost Up your router’ Performance, Set Bandwidth Limit to Each Users, Install Transmission Torrent Client which has all Features of utorrent or Bit Torrent Client and do lots of other customization to increase the performance of your router.
Here I’m talking about how to flashing powerful open source DD-WRT firmware from Stock Asus RT-N13U firmware.
Note : Flash Firmware Carefully, If possible, use uninterruptible power supply (UPS) for both PC and router. A power failure while flashing, though not likely, will probably brick the router. I am not responsible for any damage if you don’t read installation instruction carefully.
Flash DD-WRT Firmware from Stock Firmware
Note : This Installation Method is only for Asus RT-N13U B1
- A Windows 7/8 Computer.
- Asus RT-N13U B1
- The DD-WRT firmware image
Follow the Installation instructions to install the new firmware on your router.
1. Download DD-WRT Firmware file
- file extension is ‘.trx‘ for asus to dd-wrt installation. ( .bin file for dd-wrt firmware update only )
- Download – build 17027 is most stable, so preferred.
- Download – beta builds mostly not very stable but includes some improvements.
2. Install Asus Firmware Restoration Utility.
3. Disconnect all the other devices.
- Disconnect all unnecessary device from router. Only connect router to the PC via one LAN port, remove all the cable from other port like WAN and LAN.
4. Disconnect unnecessary devices from Windows PC.
5. Disable network adapters
Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Device Manager
6. Disable Antivirus Software or any other third Party Firewall
7. Disable Windows Firewall
Control Panel > System and Security > Windows Firewall > Customize Settings
8. Set PC to use a static IP
Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network and Sharing Center > Ethernet Status > Properties > IPv4 Properties
9. Restart your PC
10. Flash DD-WRT Firmware from Asus Firmware Restoration Utility
- Place router in Recovery mode – by click on restore button and replug power cable and hold for 5 seconds.
- Upload firmware image “.trx file” via asus firmware utility – same procedure as firmware update.
- It takes around 2-3 minutes.
- Finally you have dd-wrt firmware on your router.
Now you can access DD-WRT web interface via 192.168.1.1 and set up initial settings.
Restore All your PC Settings.
I hope this installation guide helps you..
Share this Article:
This article was written by Jhalak Javiya.
If you liked this article, please sharing it.